Best Shakshuka for Your Period
This will be your FAVORITE Shakshuka recipe to eat on your period! Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern / North African dish of that consists of poached eggs in a tomato sauce, olive oil, peppers, onion and garlic, commonly spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. It is full of complete protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates to keep your blood sugar levels stable and your hormones balance.
While on your period, it is our highest recommendation to eat foods that are not only nourishing to your body and mind, but that also support in decreasing inflammation. As a menstrual health brand, and team of nutritionists and herbalists, we do not promote any fad diets. Rather, we promote and encourage everyone to eat quality food that nourishes their mind, body, and soul. This includes high quality animal products AND high quality fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts, and seeds. Regenerative farming is our personal favorite. For more information, listen to our podcast episode on nutrition for hormone health here.
- 4 organic, pasture-raised eggs
- chopped 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tin of organic canned tomatoes (400g)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red curry paste, optional
- 1 tsp curry seasoning
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 C water
- 1 C chopped kale or spinach
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook the eggplant for 5-10 minutes over medium heat, in filtered water, until softened. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, curry paste, spices, sea salt and pepper and water and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce becomes thick. Add in your shredded kale or spinach last minute and stir through.
- Pour the sauce into a baking dish. Make four holes in the top, crack eggs into the holes, place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Optional: Serve with avocado and sprinkle of fresh herbs (basil or cilantro).
For more support with your hormones and beyond, check out our organic herbal remedies here.